Tuesday, May 19, 2009

1 Timothy 4:12

Ahem...this is not necessarily a bible scripture study, however, in 1Timothy chapter 4, verse 12 it says "Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but be an example for other believers in your speech, behavior, love, faithfulness, and purity."

The first part of this scripture is what I am emphasizing. "Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young..." Age has everything to do with the way a person perceives you. If you're older than a person, you could generally be looked up to, but if you're younger, well, then you are potentially looked down upon, and no, it's not entirely fair.

Now, let me share with you the reason for this verse being the main topic for this blog. This Friday our school is doing an Olympic Day. Basically it's an entire day of fun, games, eating goodies, and end of the year classroom parties. At Olympic Day there are different game booths for the students to go to. One of the booths happens to be the dunking booth. The principals, PE teachers, and one teacher from each grade level are participating. By participating I mean they are agreeing to sit in the booth to possibly get "dunked."

Please note that I mentioned one teacher from each grade level is asked to participate. Most of these teachers volunteer themselves or at least agree when they are asked, but today I learned that I was volunteered by my fellow third grade teacher colleagues. Their reason: I'm the youngest. It's really no big deal that I was "volunteered." The problem is that I was only volunteered because of my age. But wait, there is more...here is the UGLY part. This is how they told me I was going to be in the dunking booth: I was walking down the hallway to go to the lounge when one of my fellow workers stopped me and said, "You've been voted in." My response, "voted in for what?" "The dunking booth. We all got together and decided you have to do it since you're the youngest." Me: "haha, well, but..I don't really want to." Fellow worker: "Too bad we voted you in you have to do it." . It was the way I was informed of this that bothered me the most. It was done in a very unfriendly way.

I later told that teacher that my feelings were hurt that they would get together like that and decide that I have to do the dunking booth because I'm the youngest. She told me not to be hurt. Hmm...thanks. She later said she would split the time with me but I told her no. I guess the only way I can keep my co-workers from looking down on me is what the end of the verse goes on to say..."speech, behavior, love, faithfulness, and purity." Maybe by having a good attitude about this they will stop looking down on me because of my age. Or I could just wear a T-Shirt in the booth that reads 1 Timothy 4:12!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Adge, that really upsets me!!! Maybe you could wear a white t-shirt, that would show them!