Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Birth Control Methods are Over My Head!

I visited the gyno for the very first time not too long ago. The experience alone was surprisingly better than what I had expected or been told. It did not take long and although it was very uncomfortable and awkward the doctor walked me through everything. My purpose in seeing the "lady doctor" was mostly to have a mystery lump in my right breast examined (it was nothing) and also to discuss birth control options since I am getting married in 8 months.

My doctor immediately started talking to me about different types of birth control and how it works as she was in the middle of giving me a breast exam. I was so flustered and nervous that everything she said went in one ear and right out the other. I was too embarassed to ask questions and of course to say "umm, can you maybe repeat all that as soon as I have my clothes on again?" So instead, I have relied on the advice and help from my married friends. Unfortunately, all of them are on different methods; Yasmin, the Ring, IUD, planned parenting, and all of my friends have said the same thing; "the pill reacts differntly for everybody."

My doctor has given me samples of Loestrin 24 FE and Yaz. I haven't taken a single pill yet. I've read the directions and every Sunday I say to myself, "today I am going to take my first pill," and then of course I chicken out and decide I'll wait until next Sunday.

Both pills are low in estrogen, but the YAZ has a different type of progestin horomone in it that helps with PMDD. So, I've decided to try YAZ first. I've also set a starting date: April 26th. That's the day I intend to take my first birth control pill. I've counted up the days and starting on that day will mean my period will not fall on the week of my wedding or honeymoon. My doctor said to start taking it before the summer so that we can make sure that it is the right pill for me.

Has anyone used this pill before or know anyone that has?

4 comments:

Amber Ruth said...

hey adge...ive been taking yaz for about 3 months. I didnt go to the gyno for the first time either until after danny and i were engaged and pretty much had the same problem. I do like the fact yaz is low estrogen...I highly recommend taking the pill right before you go to sleep instead of in the morning like most people do. I was really sick for weeks because of it. Sometimes birth control options pretty much come down to experimenting. =/

Adriene soon to be Simpson said...

Thanks Amber! I'm glad to know someone is taking it. Did you have any other side effects besides nausea?

Lee Family said...

Hey Adriene, I took Yazmin for almost 5 years and it was the only pill that didn't make me sick. I felt great the whole time I took it. Never had any problems.

Susanlee said...

Hey, I know we haven't spoken in like years, but this is something I actually know about. I've been using the Nuvaring for several years and it works better than anything for me. It has basically no side effects and I never have to think about it. when my insurance changed a few months ago, I switched to Yaz but found that I hated it. It made my skin break out and gave me horrible mood swings and break through bleeding. I stayed with it for 3 months and then decided to absorb the extra cost of going back to my ring. But yeah, the pills are different for everyone, and Yaz may be just the right thing for you. Congratulations on your engagement!