Thursday, April 16, 2009

Lubbock got a Storm Spanking

The southeast side of Lubbock received a heavy beating today with strong rain, hail, and funnel clouds that thankfully never touched the ground. We were in a Tornado Warning for about 30-45 minutes.

I left work at 4 and went to the grocery store and made it home just in time before it started raining. I was watching the weather channel and thinking how lucky I was that I didn't get stuck in the rain because by then it started picking up. Before I knew it the rain was coming down harder with pea-sized hail. I kinda started freaking out. The news said that wall clouds were spotted on southeast Lubbock (this is where I live). The rotation of the clouds were rotating at a very fast speed and the meteorologist instructed viewers to take shelter.

I got on my knees in my hallway clutching my cell phone to text Bryan occasionally and keep him updated on my side's condition (he was in the southwest part of Lubbock). I was pretty scared but trying to stay calm because there was really nothing I could do. The rain was hitting my windows so hard I was afraid they would break. I was also picturing all the damage that my car could possibly receive from the hail (it was quarter-sized by then).

When the storm finally slowed down and stopped I looked out my window to thankfully see that my car was fine. There were no broken windows or visible hail damage. The storm passed over me and headed up to the northeast side of Lubbock. I heard that a person became trapped in their car on 19th street and Buddy Holly Ave because rain water started coming in. That should tell you just how flooded it got.

I called my parents to inform them of my safety. I was certain they would be worried and concerned and pacing the floors waiting on my call, but to my surprise they weren't. In fact, they laughed at me instead. Maybe I was a bit over-dramatic.

A tornado did touch ground in Ralls, TX. I wonder if my parents would be worried if I was in Ralls during the tornado? I'd like to think so. Hmm.

Well, here is something that might put a smile on your face. I have a student in my class who is literally a 9 year old Dwight Shrute from the Office. Here are some examples of his "Dwight-ness":
1) I had complained that something smelled funny in our classroom one time and he said that it was the paint fumes from the walls that were probably melting.

2) He was the door holder for the week and as he was holding the door for the students he touched the wooden door and said "is this Oak?" He then sniffed the door (the wood is fake).

3) Anytime there is a computer/printer/overhead problem he is the first to declare that he can fix it.

4) When he finishes his work and turns it in he'll read his library book while others are still working, but I catch him spying on me instead of actually reading.

5) When we were doing an art activity that involved a lot of gluing, I told the students to let it dry before turning it in. He started blowing profusely on his work to help it dry faster, but ended up choking on his spit.

By the way, I just learned that I am lucky. According to the news following the updates from the storm, many cars and homes in my area had shattered windows and even roofs blown off!

1 comment:

Amber Ruth said...

haha very funny adriene! I think its great your getting to know ur students so well! And i totally understand ur fear of bad weather..i think its totally normal to take cover, better safe than sorry! =)